Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, August 25, 2012

WORDS THAT MATTER, WORDS THAT FLATTER!!


 
MY DAD, WHO ALWAYS KNEW WHAT MATTERED, WHETHER WITH FAMILY OR BUSINESS.
 
Yesterday I went to the customer service department of a discount store to pay a bill—nothing unusual, except for the neat lady who worked behind the counter. She'd waited on me several times in the past.  I felt kind of “off” when I walked into the store—a little tired and shaky and wobbly on my feet.  I really didn’t want to be there, but I liked even less the thought of paying an extra $35 for a late payment. She was busy with another customer, but said that it would be a long transaction, so she could help me right then if it didn’t take too long. She could tell that I was experiencing some shakiness in my left hand and felt self-conscious about it. When I finished awkwardly signing on the screen, she looked right at me and in a very kind and sensitive way said, “Thank you gorgeous.  Have a wonderful day!” I told her that she’d already made my day.  That may not seem like a big deal to many people, but to me it was.  It reminded me of the way my dad used to treat customers when they walked into his hardware or furniture store.  The first thing he often said was, “Howdy folks.  How can I help you?”  He genuinely cared about them and it showed.  It didn’t matter if they had a lot of money or not. He would deliver their goods to the other end of Wisconsin in his old worn-out truck if that’s what made them satisfied and happy.  I sometimes rode with him and never heard him grumbling about any of his customers—they were all equally important, and he was quick to point that out to me.

MY PARENTS, OUTSIDE THEIR HARDWARE STORE IN 1946.
 
There are times in today’s culture when that’s not always reflected.  A week ago I walked into one of my favorite restaurants, which usually has exceptional service, but on that day the woman waiting on me at the counter was rude and seemingly angry about having to be there.  I don’t know what her issue was, but I didn’t like being the brunt of it.  My daughter-in-law, who was with me, had the same experience a few minutes later.  We talked about it and I found myself hoping that I would never have that person wait on me again. I’m well aware of how rude customers can be at times too, but either way, I’m a big believer in treating people with respect, even if you’ve had a bad day or don’t feel like "showing up." It’s one of those words that ALWAYS matters, no matter what era we’re living in or how technologically important things seem.  It’s what makes us caring as humans. The customer service representative at the discount store understood that and so did my dad. 

There are times when I’m disappointed in my own behavior and am not sure I’m measuring up to those examples and ideals. I’ll keep working on it though and keep appreciating the honesty and integrity and decency of people who go the extra mile to make me feel valued and cared about.  Words do matter and a little flattery doesn’t hurt either!

1 comment:

  1. I very much remember the "Howdy Folks." The first time I heard it was shortly after I arrived here form Germany. I had no idea what howdy meant, They didn't teach that in English class in Germany. But it sounded very friendly, not surprising coming from the man that I got to know as one of the kindest individuals I ever met.

    ReplyDelete