Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, August 17, 2012

A TRAVELING JOURNAL AND A GREAT--GREAT GRANDFATHER!


Sometimes I’d give anything to go back in history and meet people I’ve read about and greatly admired.  One of those “gems” was my great-great-grandfather Hilarius Rondorf. He was born in a small German village in 1828 and came to the U.S. with his wife Anna Maria and young daughter Lizzie in 1854.  He traveled by railroad with his family to Antwerp, Belgium and then on the sail ship Leopold I to New York. 

I was amazed to get a copy of his traveling journal, which detailed his family’s struggles to begin a new way of life.  Added to that wonderful discovery was the inadvertent finding that a well-known missionary to Native Americans, Pierre de Smet was also a passenger on that voyage.  In a letter to a Belgian newspaper, he described the voyage of the Leopold from Antwerp to New York:

            “They weighed anchor between 9 and 10 in the morning.  The weather was superb.  The large and beautiful ship, Leopold I was full of animation, a multitude of emigrants from Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Belgium, Russia, France, etc. were already on board.  We took but a day to reach Southampton and remained there until the next day to take in English and Irish passengers.  Our numbers increased then to more than 620 persons.”

            Pierre de Smet went on to tell about the festiveness on board—the singing and dancing, and “the sound of the violin and guitar.”  Of course no tale would be complete without the description of the “sea in extraordinary agitation.”  The ship shook violently at times and the mood of the passengers “resembled a genuine day of mourning.” The ones hit hardest were “perhaps those who looked too deeply into the wine cup.”  It sounded like the physician on board was kept busy day and night.

            My great-great-grandfather seemed to mirror those observations:

            “We enjoyed a great deal of the time in dances, theaters, and other amusements, but the seasickness kept us on the hard bed a good many days.”

Landing in New York after 63 days, Hilarius and Anna Maria started again on the railroad to Madison, Wisconsin.  Having no money or relatives or friends, they were taken in by a farmer and allowed to live in his house for free for some time.  By the spring of 1855, after saving and working for others, they were able to purchase eighty acres of land nearby.  By 1860 they were able to move again, and in early 1865, my German great-great grandfather felt it his duty to enlist in his area Wisconsin regiment in the Civil War.  He earned $300, but after eight months, returned home seriously ill with the bilious fever. 

Nearing the end of his own life after the death of Anna Maria, Hilarius wrote to his six children asking them to look out for one another if any one of them should have bad luck.  He spoke of the deep love he’d had for his wife and how they came to this country in hopes of making a better life for their children.

I marvel at the bravery and trust of my great-great grandfather Hilarius.  He was a poor, but very hard-working man who believed in the dream of a better life in America for his family, and was willing to take that risk. He was also a deeply religious and compassionate man.  That was exemplified to me in the letters he wrote to his children and his daughter-in-law, pleading with her not to blame herself for the accidental death of her daughter in a fire. 
When I was a child I met Hilarius’s son and namesake, nicknamed Hi.  My parents and I visited him and his wife Mame fairly often, but I had no idea of his family history.  I just knew that Hi was a very kind and gentle man who liked children and that it was a fun place to visit. I’m now sure that the words, like father, like son, never rang truer. 


MY GRANDMOTHER MAMIE RONDORF, GRANDDAUGHTER OF HILARIUS

My grandmother Mamie was a lot like her grandfather—a very gentle spirit—and I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of her and the Rondorf heritage.  I also feel a great deal of gratitude for the stories Hilarius left behind, and I’m glad that I can continue to share them with others.


4 comments:

  1. My name is Adam Schendel, I live in the small town of Norwalk, Wisconsin. Hilarius Rondorf is my GGGG-Grandfather as I am related through his son William Rondorf. I live not too far from the township of Jefferson where Hilarius wold have settled with his family in the 1860's. Just last month, I visited his grave at St. Mary's Ridge.

    I was doing some genealogy research in my spare time today and was very excited to come across this blog of yours which you posted just days ago. I find it amazing that Hilarius kept a personal travel journal during his 1854 journal. I would be very interested in learning more of his journal entries and family letters that you have. Also, any kinds of photographs. Please get back to me, I would love to talk more with you about our common ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam,

      What a wonderful surprise to read your comment today and discover that we have common ancestors. I have a few things that I would be happy to make copies of and send you. I'm wondering if your town is small enough that you get your mail at the post office and I could just send something to you there.

      It's amazing to me that you actually visited Hilarius's gravesite. His wife and daughter must also be buried there. Wish I didn't live so far away.

      Thank you for responding to the story. It's exciting for me to find that you also have a strong interest in genealogy and that you live in Wisconsin, my home state.

      I'll look forward to hearing back from you as well.

      Delete
    2. Hello, my name is James Passe, Hilarius Rondorf is also my GGGrandfather, his oldest daughter Elizebeth married John Trinkes after her first husband died, and one of their sons William Trinkes is my Grandfather. Their farm was near St Joseph's Ridge not too far from the Rondorf farm at St Marys Ridge. I believe I also have a copy of the letter of Hilarius "short history" , he references his day book which I believe is a diary and am very curious if there is a copy anywhere, it would be in german. I have been to Bergheim, Germany, Roxbury, Wisconsin where they first settled as well as St Marys Ridge. I have more information that I am interested in sharing. Hilarius wrote a number of letters back to Germany and some of them are in the German archives on immigration. I do have some photos also.

      As I mentioned I would be very interested in sharing information, I can be reached at jrpasse@earthlink.net

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    I'm really excited to read about Hilarious Rondorf. He was a cousin of my great-grandfather, Wilhelm Gassen. Actually I am just a few kilometers away from Bergheim, the old home of Hilarious. Kind regards from Bonn, Germany,
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete