Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Monday, August 20, 2012

HUMMIN' ALONG!



I’ve always had a fascination with hummingbirds—real jewels of nature.  One of the highlights of summers past was watching my mother mix up sugar water in a bright red feeder especially for her little birds. She put the feeder far enough away from our cabin so they wouldn’t be bothered.  I could sit near the lake early in the morning and watch them come.  It always amazed me. Now that my mom is gone and the cabin too, I rarely see them, but the little decorative hummingbirds that she left behind remind me of what rare and unique birds they are and why she loved them.


Hummingbirds are some of the smallest birds and yet they consume more than twice their weight in nectar every day.  You might think that they’re always on the move, but they spend the majority of their time sitting or perching.  I guess if you’re busy flapping your wings as much as eighty times per second, you need to spend a lot of time just resting. They can even hibernate when food is scarce.  And  they can also travel more than thirty miles per hour.  When I read that they eat a lot of small meals, I thought maybe that was an idea I should incorporate more often.  In addition to the nectar they drink from flowers, they also eat insects and spiders.

AN 1899 PAINTING BY ERNST HAECKEL


TWO CHICKS BEING FED IN TETON NATIONAL PARK
Because of the rapid beat of their wings, which makes a humming sound, they inherited the name hummingbird.  They leave our region of the Midwest in the fall to head for warmer climates.  After decades of sometimes challenging winters, I’ve thought more often about that idea too.

Amazingly, hummingbirds can live as long as a decade, but the average life span is 3-5 years. 

I recently read a few thoughts about hummingbirds that resonated with me:

            “Hummingbird darts lightly through the world, spreading its message of joy and beauty, and teaching us to appreciate the wonder and magic of everyday existence. Hummingbird brings the gift of joy.  Learn to laugh and be happy.”  (unknown)

            “I hear like you see—like that hummingbird outside that window for instance.”  (Ray Charles)

If you’re lucky enough to spot a hummingbird somewhere near you, send my blessings and good cheer to that special little bird.  

No comments:

Post a Comment