Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

MAKING KIDS HAPPY!


My grandson had a great story to tell today when he came home from a professional baseball game between the Minnesota Twins and the Detroit Tigers.  It wasn’t about the game, which the Twins lost, having scored only one run.  I saw a portion of the game on television and thought that he’d be coming home very disappointed.  He rarely gets a chance to go to the games, but a friend’s family had invited him to this one. 

ALEXI CASILLA--THAT BAT LOOKS LIKE THE ONE HE GAVE MY GRANDSON

When he came in the door he had a big smile on his face and a large bat and professional baseball in his hands. I wondered what that was all about.  As it turns out, after the game ended, Alexi Casilla, the second baseman for the Twins, came out of the dugout, spotted Ethan with his Twins jersey and handed him a bat that, from the looks of it, he had used often.  It had his name and number (12) on it.  At first I didn’t believe that it was actually Alexi’s bat, but when I looked it over closely, I knew it was the “real thing.”  Nothing could have made that little eight-year old boy happier.  He’s followed the Twins all year, despite their losing record and he talks stats with me and a buddy often.  That bat may be well-worn, but it’s a thing of beauty to Ethan.  I’m told that there were other kids grabbing for it, but Ethan just watched because he never imagined that he’d wind up with it.  And he walked home with a professional baseball as well because a gentleman who’d been given one by Alexi, handed it to Ethan. Doubly exciting!
We hear so often about selfish ballplayers and their lack of interest in fans and their unwillingness to do anything unless they’re paid, but this major league player saw a little guy with a Twins jersey and an interest in baseball and took an interest in him.  Ethan won’t forget that, I know.  I won’t either. 

MY OLDEST BROTHER TERRY FISHING

It usually doesn’t take a lot to make kids happy.  I had a flashback to my own childhood and the enormous fun I had, playing ball, fishing with my dad or going berry picking or on walks along cabin roads.  As I was looking through some old pictures a few days ago, I re-discovered a simple photo of my oldest brother fishing on an old stump by the lake where our little cabin was about to be built.  That was over 55 years ago.  Although I haven’t seen him for a while, I’ll bet he hasn’t forgotten that day.  Simple times and simple fun!
I haven’t lost my interest and excitement in seeing what makes kids happy.  Having grandchildren now, I get to experience their joy as my own, and it makes life pretty darned sweet!

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting, inspiring blog! You have a natural talent that makes the writing seem as if we are just having a conversation. And you include so much history, color and humor. You really could be writing a column for a magazine. Keep it up, Lynda! Wendy Adamson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm really enjoying sharing these stories.

      Delete