Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A RARE TIME AND MAN!

In the spring of 1969 I was newly married and excited about showing my German husband things about my little hometown in central Wisconsin that were unique.  It couldn’t begin to compare to the beautiful scenery in and around his hometown in Germany, but I was eager for him to see some of the things that made it different. One of the first places we visited was the little root beer stand in town.  Since he had just arrived from Germany, he had never heard of a root beer stand.  He thought it sounded like a fun idea and was anxious to try the root beer.  Of course he expected that it was some kind of American beer.  What a rude awakening he had!  Not only was it not a beer, but to him it was this awful concoction that tasted like toothpaste.  I doubt that he’s ever tried it again.  The memory no doubt still haunts him. Of course it’s one of my favorite drinks, so I’m perplexed.  Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
One thing we totally agree on, however, is the charming little gas station that stood behind my dad’s furniture store.  We loved stopping there to buy gas because of the proprietor who ran it for many years.  Chet was a delightful man who obviously loved his work and wanted you to drive away feeling satisfied and important as a customer.  He always came out smiling and pumped your gas, washed your windows inside and outside, and then amazingly, handed you a gift—a little dish or glass or some other useful item.  And would you believe, during the gas wars in town at that time, you could buy gas for less than 20 cents a gallon. What a deal!
Even now when I pump gas, I often think of that wonderful man.  He was definitely from another era and I’m so glad that I had the opportunity to get to know and appreciate him.
Chet, in front of his gas station, riding a pedicab from Taiwan.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it does taste like toothpaste. Why would anyone voluntarily swallow that stuff?
    And I do remember Chet quite fondly. He is the only one I ever came across that would clean your windshield on the inside as well.

    ReplyDelete