Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

TWO STRONG MEN, TWO KIND HEARTS!



Some time ago I discovered a unique photograph that my mother had saved of her two grandfathers.  I didn’t know much about them at the time because they died before I was born, but I loved the photograph and wanted to know more about them.  I remembered how important my own grandfathers had been in my life and I felt that she’d probably had a similar experience. In fact, she did tell me once that her maternal grandparents, Francis and Barbara had been very kind to her and she loved visiting them. 

I discovered that my great-grandfathers had some interesting similarities.  They were born within a day of one another, although in different years.  Arne, my paternal great-grandfather was born Feb. 4, 1843 and came to the U.S. from Norway at the age of 28.  His wife and one-year old son (my grandfather) came a year later.  Francis, my maternal great-grandfather was born Feb. 5, 1848, the year Wisconsin became a state. Arne lived to be 89, Francis 85. 

Arne had great determination upon coming to this country.  He was a pioneer settler who worked incredibly hard to make a home for his young family.  He helped raise eight sons, including my grandfather, and was active in his township in children’s education.  Upon his death the local newspaper said, “He was a kind and indulgent husband and father with generous impulses.” 

Francis was an early pioneer farmer and lumberman.  He came to Clark County, Wisconsin, in 1872.  His family had journeyed by wagon from the east coast.  He came from a family of twelve children and raised ten children with his wife Barbara. My grandmother was one of them.

I discovered in my mother’s papers a copy of a homesteading application for ten dollars which Francis filed in 1877.  It was the balance of payment required of him for obtaining 80 acres of land.  Not a bad deal for a 29-year old man and his family! 

When my great-grandfather Francis died in 1933, he had thirty-six grandchildren and thirty-six great-grandchildren. I'll bet he was mighty proud!

These two ancestors of mine, Arne and Francis were strong, hard-working men I wish I’d had a chance to meet.  From everything I know about them, they were equally kindhearted and generous and citizens my home state of Wisconsin could well be proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment