Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Sunday, August 12, 2012

FROM THE OLYMPICS TO FOOTBALL--A RENEWED RIVALRY!

A LOYAL VIKINGS FAN IN MY OLD NEIGHBORHOOD

For the past two weeks I’ve loved watching nearly everything about the Olympics and I feel a little sad about it ending today.  I can’t believe how excited I got watching water polo and beach volleyball and women’s soccer with my grandchildren. I’d never paid much attention to those sports in the past.  My interests always focused on swimming, gymnastics, track, and basketball. I still marvel at the dedication and passion of the majority of the athletes; they’re truly amazing. They deserve every bit of the glory and admiration that comes their way.


Now, being one who truly enjoys sports and the spirit of competition, I’m ready to turn my attention to football.  Living in Minnesota Vikings country, you’d think that it could get awfully lonely here, being a Packers fan.  But the truth is that nearly every day I see people of all ages wearing Packers shirts or hats, or in one case, even having a yellow and green car with a Packers flag.  I know that it drives a lot of Vikings fans crazy.  I’ve been asked a few times why I don’t switch my allegiance to the Vikings now that I’ve lived here for ages.  After all, I cheer for Minnesota’s professional basketball and baseball teams. There’s no easy answer except to say that the Packers are a legend in Wisconsin and parts of the Midwest.  Maybe part of that is because Green Bay is the smallest city in the National Football League and the only one publicly owned. Its fans went through a lot of lean years in the 1950’s.  And then there’s my mother, an amazing lady and diehard fan who even sent Christmas cards to Bart Starr, the star quarterback of the 1960’s, and his wife. My parents always received a card and note in return.  My mother even kept some of them over the years.  Even though she’s no longer alive, I always think of her and her love for football and the Packers in particular.  My ten-year old granddaughter has turned into a Packers fan as well, much to the dismay of her eight-year old brother and mom and dad. 

LAMBEAU FIELD, HOME OF THE PACKERS--MY LITTLE SOUVENIR


Although American football doesn’t have the worldwide appeal of the Olympics, it’s exciting to watch on any given Sunday.  So, let the games and the hoopla begin!

Earl, (Curly) Lambeau, Packers coach from 1919-1949.  He won six championships and had a won-lost record of 231-108.  The stadium in Green Bay is named after him, a rarity these days.

1 comment:

  1. I always hear the argument that football is more exciting than soccer because there is more scoring. Well, if soccer would generate seven points per goal, the difference would be negligible. Then there is the fact that soccer has virtually continuous play action for the entire 90 minutes of the game. In football, players stand around for most of the time. I used a stop watch on several occasions, and actual play action (from the snap of the ball to the end of the play) amounted very consistently to between 10 and 15 minutes. Now what is more exciting?

    ReplyDelete