Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

THE SUPER FAN!



My mother could have been a spokesperson for the Green Bay Packers.  Heading off to church on Sundays was important, but missing the Packers football game afterwards would have been unthinkable.  We didn’t stop to socialize after the service; that could be done another day.  And when we got home the TV trays were set up and lunch was quickly brought out so we rarely missed a minute of the game.  Those were the 60’s and the Packers ruled in our household, as well as millions of others all across Wisconsin and the Midwest. 

I remember one year in particular when my German mother and father-in-law came to the U.S. for a visit.  My husband and I brought them to Wisconsin to meet my parents.  My mother was friendly and engaging and intent on showing them a good time.  There was only one exception.  The Packers were an invited guest on Sunday, even though Hilde and Heinrich didn’t have a clue what American football was all about. They also didn’t understand English. They soon learned that my mother took the game seriously.  She didn’t want to be rude, but the phrase “the game must go on” was definitely meant for her. My father-in-law had fallen asleep in a recliner chair until my mother screamed uncontrollably because the Packers had scored a touchdown.  My father-in-law nearly hit the ceiling while continuing to say, “Was ist los?  Was ist los?”  Translated, I guess it was the equivalent of “What’s going on? What's going on?"  I’m sure he and my mother-in-law must have wondered how this sweet, kind lady could change so quickly.  I don’t think my mother even saw it as an embarrassing moment—she was too involved in the game.  We did the explaining and Heinz’s parents did the forgiving.  When it came to the Packers, Millie would never change.  It made her exasperating and endearing at the same time.

Sadly, those family members are no longer with us, but what rich memories.  Last year I was watching the Packers play in the Super Bowl and thinking of my mother and how she would have loved it.  At the end of the game and a victory over Pittsburgh, I felt very emotional.  I hadn’t had so much fun and relief in a long time.  I just kept jumping up and down and yelling, “I don’t believe it, I don’t believe it. This one’s for you Mom!”  I knew that I had filled in for my mother, the Super Fan and done reasonably well.  I had cheered every first down and touchdown and exceptional defensive play.  She would have felt pride in me as well as the Packers.

SUPER FANS MARTHA JEAN and LYNDA (me) -- a caricature but telling.  (Angela B.)

Now it’s nearly time for another football season and I’m excited about the Packers chances to reach the Super Bowl again.  They have plenty of stiff competition in the league, but I’m a true believer.  And now I enjoy the game more than ever because it’s just good fun, win or lose.  I know that soccer, or “football”, as most of the world calls it, is still the most popular sport by far, but for me NFL football is still the best.  My mother taught me well!

2 comments:

  1. You taught me well also, maybe too well. When I came here in 1969, it was just after the Packer glory days and they would be winning again, soon. So I thought. I placed many bets with my boss at the time. He was an avid Vikings fan. I think to this day I have not recuperated the the money I lost to him. Maybe I should start betting on the Packers again. I do think my chances have very much improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But right now it's Germany in the European Soccer Championships.

      Delete