Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, June 16, 2012

A BLAST FROM THE PAST and GRANDPA LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!



The headline in the Neillsville, Wisconsin newspaper nearly a century ago read—CLARK COURT HOUSE FURNACE EXPLODES.  My grandfather, who then worked as a janitor at the court house had the surprise of a lifetime.  The assistant clerk at the court house was “cleaning house” in the office and tossed a two ounce bottle of nitroglycerin, which was 24 years old, into the waste basket.  She thought it was a harmless liquid. That was an unfortunate and nearly deadly mistake.

My grandfather OIuf took the basket to the basement and threw the contents into the furnace.  A short time later and a few steps away he heard a blast that “sounded like an old-fashioned Fourth of July celebration.”  The furnace doors flew open and all the ashes in the vicinity made their way into the room.  As the paper described it, “Oluf turned three double handsprings and when he stopped to see where he was, discovered himself on the East Side of the standpipe.”

Two men in another room were making a deal for a large supply of maple syrup when the explosion occurred.  They raced to retrieve their hats and coats and were several blocks away before “the last echo of the explosion had subsided.”

My grandfather Oluf on the right
My grandpa (on left) with my dad in later years--he lived to tell the tale!

The newspaper added, “Had the amount of nitroglycerin been of its original power the blast undoubtedly would have removed all traces of the court house.”  I wish that my grandfather was still around to tell about it.  What a tale that would have been!

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of when I was in the army. I was often commandeered to empty all the waste baskets into a huge old oil drum and burn it. To make things more interesting, I always "obtained" several unused spray paint cans that I added to the drum before burning the stuff from the waste baskets. Every time a can exploded, it resulted in a nice mushroom cloud above the barrel. Much more interesting than just a plain fire in a barrel.

    ReplyDelete