Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, June 9, 2012

"Mr. Cub", "Mr. Sunshine", Ernie Banks!


Although I grew up as a Milwaukee Braves baseball fan, there was one special player from a National League rival who I admired greatly.  I always knew that Ernie Banks loved baseball and never gave less than 100 percent.  He meant as much to the Chicago Cubs as Henry Aaron did to the Braves.  He played 19 years for the Cubs and was known as Mr. Cub. He was very loyal to the Cubs and once said, “Loyalty and friendship, which is to me the same, created all the wealth that I’ve ever thought I’d have.” 

Ernie was also known as Mr. Sunshine.  He used to say, “It’s a beautiful day for a ballgame. . . Let’s play two!”  He was happy to play in double headers, and expressed it this way—“Work?  I never worked a day in my life.  I always love what I was doing, had a passion for it.” 

Ernie played shortstop and first base for the Cubs and played in over 2,500 games.  He was named to Major League Baseball’s All-Century team.  He was not only a Cubs institution, he was one of the best players who ever put on a baseball uniform.  He finished his career with 512 homers and eleven All-Star appearances.  What amazes me is that although Ernie never played in a post-season game in those 19 years, he never lost his enthusiasm for the game and his team.  He once said, “You must try to generate happiness within yourself.  If you aren’t happy in one place, chances are you won’t be happy any place.”  To him the game was more about the joy and thrills it offered, not the money.

Recently a statue of Ernie Banks was erected outside Wrigley Field.  I wonder if most baseball fans know that in a five year span from 1955-1960, Ernie hit more home runs than Henry Aaron, Mickey Mantle, and Willie Mays.  Because he didn’t play on championship teams or even teams that made it into the playoffs, Ernie didn’t get as much recognition as he deserved.  Like Aaron, his power was in his wrists and his bat speed was amazing.  It was a joy to watch him play.  His number 14 was retired in 1971 by the Cubs, a first time for the team.  He was also the first African American player to play for the Cubs.

I recently learned that my team at that time, the Milwaukee Braves, tried to make a deal for him in 1960.  I would have loved to see him play with Hank Aaron, my hero, but it never happened.  Someday I’d love to make a trip to Wrigley Field to see the statue of Ernie Banks.  It would be like old times again!

No comments:

Post a Comment