Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, June 22, 2012

ERMA BOMBECK--HUMORIST EXTRAORDINAIRE



Erma Bombeck, American humorist extraordinaire kept millions of us laughing and maintaining our sanity over decades of child rearing.  During the 1970’s she wrote a brilliant column called AT WIT’S END.  Speaking for myself, there were plenty of moments that called out for every ounce of patience I could muster, and Erma was the one to put it all in perspective. She had three children of her own and had plenty of experiences to share. After adopting her first child she became a full-time homemaker for ten years, but continued to write columns for local papers.

Erma was born in 1927 in Ohio and was named after her mother Erma. She was a top student who loved to read, especially authors who displayed humor.  She wrote humorous columns for her junior high school newspaper and at 15 she interviewed Shirley Temple for a Dayton newspaper when Shirley visited Dayton.

When Erma attended the University of Dayton, her English teacher strongly influenced her, encouraging her to be a writer. It was during that time that she started writing for the university newspaper.

Over 30 years Erma wrote newspaper columns that described life in the suburban home.  She also wrote 15 books, including many best sellers. Her writings were often directed at the Midwestern suburban housewife, but she had millions of dedicated readers all over the U.S. and Canada. She also earned a substantial income doing lectures in the late 1960’s.  She often wrote for women’s magazines and at one point 900 newspapers carried her column.  I remember seeing her on Good Morning America segments as well.
In later years Erma moved with her family to Phoenix, Arizona.  She died in 1996 after developing complications following a kidney transplant.  She was 69.



Erma Bombeck’s writings were immensely funny and inspirational and made a huge difference in my life.  I wanted her to know how I felt, so I wrote her a letter in late 1985. I was thrilled when she wrote back and sent me an autographed book.  Remembering that unique and special lady, I’ve included some of her memorable quotes, as well as the letter she wrote that I've saved through the years and her photograph.




            “I take a very practical view of raising children.  I put a sign in each of their rooms:  Check out time is 18 years.”

            “My theory in housework is, if the item doesn’t multiply, smell, catch fire, or block the refrigerator door, let it be.  No one else cares.  Why should you?”

            “I haven’t trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during their lunch hour.  I’ve never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for sex.”

            “Before you try to keep up with the Joneses, be sure they’re not trying to keep up with you.”

            “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.”

            “I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage.”

            “When humor goes, there goes civilization.”

No comments:

Post a Comment