Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, October 3, 2014

BASEBALL ON MY MIND!


Baseball needs a little "jazzing up" these days, to be sure, but I've always loved the game, some days more than others.  Since my mother turned me into a Milwaukee Braves fan in the early 1950's,
I was hooked!  How could I not be with Hammerin' Hank Aaron on my team, and a star left-handed pitcher named Warren Spahn. The 1957 Braves won the World Series, and the state of Wisconsin went crazy.  Lucky for me that our family subscribed to the Milwaukee Journal at that time, so I could read all I wanted about my baseball heroes.  I collected thousands of baseball cards and tried to emulate the players on that wildly popular team as I raced out my front door and ran onto the ball field across the street from my house. I felt nearly invincible until one day a line drive nailed my knee. It was a stinging pain, but there's a reason for an old expression called "take one for the team."


In a few months major league baseball will be exploring the idea of implementing major changes to speed up the game.  I'm looking forward to that.  Baseball is a very traditional game, but like football, sometimes changes become necessary.  And of course I'm all for events that add fun to the game.  The Milwaukee Brewers now have sausage races with large costumed characters at the end of the sixth inning during every home game.  They are quite hilarious!  The Brewers have included the event for over  20 years,
and have expanded the sausage favorites to a bratwurst, polish sausage, hot dog, and chorizo.  It's a natural fun event since Milwaukee is well-known for its sausages and beer. 


And then there's the Atlanta Braves event called A Bark in the Park, which features dogs of all types.  I had never heard of it until my son, who lives a couple of hours from Atlanta, clued me in.  He and my daughter-in-law had a great time taking Hank, their golden lab, to the ballpark.  It's become a yearly event, and is very popular.  Dogs receive a variety of treats, as well as an opportunity to enjoy doggie pools.  They might need a little help filling out the scorecard, however.

This was the year I thought my team, the Milwaukee Brewers, would pull off the season's upset and finish ahead of the St. Louis Cardinals, the perennial power.  It was not to be!  A huge disappointment, but an exceedingly fun year!  Until the last few games the Brewers still had a chance to make the playoffs.  I loved following the team and the exciting new players, as well as their awesome honorary mascot, Hank the dog.  It was a fun year, and once again, nearly three million Brewers fans filled the stadium.  Now that the season is over, I'm cheering for other teams to make the World Series, the highlight of the baseball season.  Not only is October my fall favorite, it's nearly every baseball fan's favorite month.  It's when unexpected heroes show up and shine in the World Series.  Who doesn't love an underdog!

Here are some "choice" baseball quotes from a variety of players and fans of the game.  Enjoy!

     "Now I've had everything except the thrill of watching Babe Ruth play."  (superstar Joe DiMaggio)

     "I don't want them to forget Ruth.  I just want them to remember me."  (Hank Aaron, beloved star of the Milwaukee Braves and Atlanta Braves).

     "Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster."  (Joe Adcock, Milwaukee Braves slugger who once hit four home runs in one game.  I can attest to it since I listened to that game.)

     "I want to be remembered as a ballplayer who gave all he had to give."  (Roberto Clemente, a superstar outfielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates, who died in a plane crash in 1973, as he was attempting to deliver supplies to a relief effort.)

     "All winter long, I can't wait for baseball.  It gets you back to doing the stuff you love and makes you wish the youthfulness of life could stay with you forever."  (Tommy John, former ace major league pitcher.)

     "I knew we were in for a long season when we lined up for the national anthem on opening day and one of my players said, 'Every time I hear that song I have a bad game.'  (Jim Leyland, former top major league manager.)  To be sure, it helps to maintain an abundance of good humor as a manager.

So, in another month, baseball will have crowned a new champion, and other major sports will reign supreme. I'll be watching!  Mom would be proud!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a complete list of the pictures click here
Please make payments via PayPal at Lynda.clark84@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment