Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Thursday, December 13, 2012

REFLECTING UPON THE STREAM OF TIME


A few nights ago I wandered upstairs and noticed my oldest son sitting at the table with the lights dimmed and the Christmas music on.  The song that was playing was the hymn O HOLY NIGHT.  I wanted to tell him that my dad (his grandfather) loved that song more than any other.  It always moved him to tears in our little church in my hometown.  Now it does the same to me and I’m sometimes afraid to be that vulnerable, even with my son.  And yet I know that he would understand because he’s heard countless stories about the kind, gentle-spirited grandfather that loved him, but died when he was just six months old.   
Today a friend and I were talking about the passage of time and how it almost seems sometimes like even memorable events of the past don’t seem quite real.  It’s hard to explain, and maybe some of us reflect on those things more than others. I just know that this time of year music and the thought of loved ones that have left us make a deep imprint on the heart, in a way that’s almost indescribable.


 Remembering my dad, I’ve included a photo of him with his grandson Kai, at two months old.  It’s the only picture we have of the two of them. 



The other photo is of a beautiful little chapel near the Crystal River in Wisconsin.  My dad would have loved it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment