Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Monday, December 17, 2012

FOR THE LOVE OF CHILDREN and the DEDICATION OF TEACHERS


I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren, and when I dropped them off at school today, as I often do, I appreciated more than ever what a treasure they’ve been. My granddaughter, now 11, always leans into the driver’s seat and plants a kiss on my cheek, even when she’s loaded down with four bags of school supplies. I won’t ever take that for granted again.  Her eight-year old brother often shares his humorous and quirky observations on the ride to school. He loves listening to Christmas music on the way and sometimes sings along.  I know these moments won’t last forever, but I’ll forever cherish them. 

This morning I couldn’t stop thinking about those innocent young children in Connecticut whose lives were abruptly and violently ended.  It pains me beyond measure.  I listened to President Obama say their names at a memorial yesterday and my heart ached; the tears were streaming down my face.  Driving around Minneapolis today and listening to Christmas music, I thought of them over and over again. The holidays will certainly be the most difficult their families have ever experienced. 

And then I think of the teachers and leaders of that school and those around our country.  They are supremely dedicated people who care deeply about children.  Sometimes they’re under-appreciated, but they go on for the love of children.  As I watched many of the teachers of my grandchildren enter the school today, I realized that I will never take them for granted again. I see how incredibly hard they work and the positive values they try to instill.  They see those kids as individuals and would go to the NTH degree for them. I am filled with immense admiration and gratitude for the kind, caring professionals who choose to make a difference in kids’ lives. 

In remembrance of those dear children in Connecticut and the teachers who sought to protect them, I for one will not forget you, today or any day.  My hope is that we will see changes in our country that will make this land a safer place.

            “In the end, nothing we do or say in this lifetime will matter as much as the way we have loved one another.”  (Daphne Rose Kingma)

No comments:

Post a Comment