Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"LIFE IS ALWAYS WINGING IT."

"No matter how many plans you make or how much in control you are, life is always "winging it." Those thoughts were expressed by Carroll Bryant, but sum up my beliefs as well.  Or put another way by Tina Fey, "Say yes and you'll figure it out afterwards."

Spontaneity is indeed a fancy word, and even hard to spell, but it's pretty simple in meaning and one of my favorite words in the English language. You can call me up with a movie invitation, lunch offer, or a suggestion for a long walk and a bench seat next to the lake, and I'll drop everything to be there--even if you call me ten minutes beforehand.  I'm "all in." An old friend often accused me of always wanting to stop and "smell the roses."  My only explanation for that is that I love to experience LIFE to its fullest, even if I get hopelessly lost in the process. For me, there's no other way to go about it.  As Jane Austen once said, "Why not seize the pleasure at once?  How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?" 

Recently I engaged in different conversations about spontaneity with several friends. I'm always interested in learning different viewpoints, but at the end of it all, I've come to understand that being spontaneous is an important prerequisite to any serious relationship I might have.  I can't change what is part of my very core.  A fellow by the name of John McLaughlin once said, "Only in spontaneity can we be who we truly are."  It's the joyful spirit of who I am.  I simply can't be anyone else.  Germaine Greer said it another way, "The essence of pleasure is spontaneity."  I derive pleasure often from unplanned, seemingly childlike moments.  Kenny Rogers insists that "there is a trade off--that as you grow older, you gain wisdom, but you lose spontaneity."  I don't buy it; I may be a little "short" on the wisdom order, but I refuse to lose those spontaneous moments.  That would prove to be enormously disappointing. And as a well-spoken woman named Sonya Williams summed it up, "I laugh at people who think they're spontaneous, yet PLAN their spontaneous moments."  I'm not much of a planner, at least not when there's a chance to "smell the roses." Perhaps we'll meet up one day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a complete list of the pictures go to
Please make payments via Paypal at Lynda.clark84@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment