Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"A GRANDFATHER IS SOMEONE . . ."


MY DAD WITH MY NORWEGIAN GRANDFATHER; THEY BOTH LOVED CHILDREN.
 
Some time ago an unknown author remarked, “A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart.” Those words could easily have been spoken about my father.  He adored his grandson and I will always cherish the only picture I have of them together, when our son was only two months old.  I especially remember him now because March 1 marks the thirty-ninth anniversary of his passing.

MY MATERNAL GRANDFATHER (ON RIGHT)
 
MY GREAT-GRANDFATHER AT THE OLD HOMESTEAD IN WISCONSIN
 
MY TWO GREAT-GRANDFATHERS, ARNE AND FRANCIS
 
I also remember my grandfather Oluf, who was born on the same day (Feb. 4) as his father Arne.  I never met Arne, but I’ve heard many stories about him and his travels to Wisconsin from Norway.  He and my grandfather were incredibly hardworking men, as was my father.  They were not afraid to take risks in order to provide a better life for their families.  I honor their memory and that of grandfathers and great-grandfathers everywhere with these special quotes and photos.

            “GRANDFATHER, GREAT SPIRIT, ONCE MORE BEHOLD ME ON EARTH AND LEAN TO HEAR MY FEEBLE VOICE.”  (BLACK ELK)

            “MY GRANDFATHER TAUGHT ME GENEROSITY.  HE SOLD SNOW CONES IN HARLEM.  I WENT WITH HIM AT 5 AND HE LET ME HAND OUT THE CHANGE AND SNOW CONES.  I LEARNED A LOT IN THE COUPLE OF YEARS THAT WE DID THAT.”                                        (ERIK ESTRADA)

            “MORE AND MORE WHEN I SINGLE OUT THE PERSON WHO INSPIRED ME MOST, I GO BACK TO MY GRANDFATHER.”  (JAMES EARL JONES)

            “I WAS TOLD BY MY GRANDFATHER WHO WAS A MINISTER THAT WE ALL WERE PUT HERE ON EARTH TO BE OF SERVICE TO ONE ANOTHER, AND IT IS QUITE GRATIFYING TO KNOW THAT IF I AM ABLE TO BE OF HELP TO ONE THAT IS NOT ABLE TO HELP THEMSELVES, THEN I AM FULFILLING MY OBLIGATION AS A HUMAN BEING.”  (DIONNE WARWICK)

            “NO COWBOY WAS FASTER ON THE DRAW THAN A GRANDPARENT PULLING A BABY PICTURE OUT OF A WALLET.”  (UNKNOWN AUTHOR)

            “IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE I COME BY THE PASSIONATE COMMITMENT I HAVE TO BRINGING PEOPLE TOGETHER WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, IT ALL STARTED WITH MY GRANDFATHER.”  (BILL CLINTON)

 
            “YOU’VE GOT TO DO YOUR OWN GROWING, NO MATTER HOW TALL YOUR GRANDFATHER WAS.”  (IRISH PROVERB)

No comments:

Post a Comment