Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, January 17, 2015

WHAT IS THE LURE???

For decades I've seen people drawn to ice fishing, but I've never truly understood it.  It might be the coldest day on record in Minnesota, but the loyalists will still show up to their fishing spot enthusiastically.  Whether they're just carrying a cozy stool to be sitting on a frozen lake while hoping for THE BIG CATCH, or holing up in some permanent shelter which offers satellite television, a stove, bathroom, and large bed, they're often "hooked."  Probably long ago they discovered that there's a real art to winning the winter battle with the fish, but the idea is to have some fun along the way, and share some connections with others equally hooked.  I admire them for their love and devotion to the sport, but it still baffles me how and why they do it. 

Here are a few photos I took of ice houses on Medicine

 
Lake, Minnesota.  The contests are not just about the size of fish caught, but the artistic creations known as ice houses.  Perhaps one day I'll be more than just curious, and spend a day with someone who can explain the lure of it, and why it's so intriguing.  For now, I'll enjoy my time by the fireplace on a cold winter's day, curled up with a good book, and someone special nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment