Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, January 30, 2015

"SWELL" CONNECTION!

Yesterday I made a stop at one of my favorite stores--Trader Joe's.  I hadn't been there for a while, but love talking to the friendly check-out people.  They could offer a class to other businesses about how to treat their customers with care and respect, not to mention FUN.  I was asked the usual "How's your day going?"  And then when I returned the favor, the very friendly clerk responded, SWELL.  Now that brought up years of memories of what a common, but important word he had used.  He was much younger than his customer, so I was surprised by his comment.  I asked him about it.  He said that to him it expressed a lot more than just "fine" or "well."  He was surprised that I had even noticed, and when I went on to ask why, he said, "Because most people are too busy talking on their phones to even care or notice."  He added that he's decided lately to simplify his life and make important changes, like reverting to a simple "flip phone" and using it infrequently.  I could definitely relate to that since the only phone I use is a "flip phone" and it's very inexpensive.  I thought it was interesting that a much younger person would make the same decision, but based as much on his realization that he was allowing his much fancier phone to become a major part of his life, and he no longer liked that idea.  I told him that it was like one of my favorite authors of the 19th century, Henry David Thoreau, reminding us to "Simplify, simplify."  I have so often thought of that, but not always followed the idea. Years ago my youngest brother used to have a large poster in my bedroom at our family cabin, displaying one of Thoreau's quotes--"March to the beat of a different drummer."  When I start to think that I might be a little too quirky for some people, I remind myself of that quote.  The cashier's final comment to me was the quote about "the road less traveled."  

That short interaction may not seem all that significant, but it stuck with me all day.  We might not have spoken at all, or only minimally, but instead we found a connection, talking about the importance of not letting technology take over our lives.  I'm still mulling that over.  So thank you "swell" fellow who made my day, in a very simple way, a whole lot more enjoyable.  And Henry David Thoreau, you are still not forgotten! 






























2 comments:

  1. "Swell" reminded me of an incident at Jay's Cameras many years ago. One of my friends there was talking to a fellow who obviously was from the UK. After the sale was finished, my friend asked if he minded if he asked him a question. "Go ahead," he answered." "Do they still say 'Jolly Good" in England?" "Of course," was the answer, "just like you still say SWELLLL"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that. And now, a comeback for the "swell" folks. Yay!!

      Delete