Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Thursday, September 18, 2014

AND THE UNDERDOG PREVAILED!

About a week ago I was waiting at a stoplight, on my way to take my grandchildren to school, like I do every weekday morning. My mind was wandering and I was thinking about the upcoming day.  All of a sudden I spotted a little mouse racing frantically to get across the busy crosswalk, totally oblivious to the mountain of traffic that was about to charge ahead the minute the light turned green.  It was a comical sight, but I found myself cheering loudly for that little fellow to reach the other side.  My grandchildren were trying to figure out what all the excitement was about, as I yelled "Go little mouse, go, go, go, go."  I'm sure I would have looked silly to many if they had noticed, but I clearly wanted that tiny underdog to make it to "safer pastures",  ahead of the monstrous vehicles.  And amazingly he did!  It made my day and opened up a conversation with the kids about underdogs.  Yes, I do love those who are not expected to "make it" in whatever way, even that little mouse.  My granddaughter said afterwards that she was cheering for him too.

As I thought about underdogs, a number of memories came to mind.  Those woeful University of Wisconsin football teams of the 60's and 70's were definite underdogs in nearly every game, but I cheered for them loudly, even if the final score confirmed why they were huge underdogs.  Now that they're often favorites, I see the other perspective a little differently, but it still doesn't sway me from enjoying the moment.  A fellow named Stephen Shaw once said, "Everybody loves the underdog and wants them to win unless you just happen to be playing against the underdog."  How true!

Last Fall I was in Alabama, visiting my son and his wife, and Auburn, the university where he teaches, was playing their old football rival, the University of Alabama.  Auburn was definitely the underdog, even though they were playing at home.  By some absolutely miraculous occurrences, Auburn pulled the game out at the last minute.  The underdog prevailed, and we were loving it.  We danced around the house, laughing and hollering like "nobody's business."  It was a huge thrill, especially to share it with my family. I will never forget that day.

Perhaps you'll reflect on moments in your own life when you were the underdog or you cheered someone on who played that role.  Life is filled with those of underdog status, and I'm happy to acknowledge them--even that little critter who defied the odds!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a complete list of the pictures go to
Please make payments via Paypal at Lynda.clark84@yahoo.com





No comments:

Post a Comment