Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Monday, February 3, 2014

LOOKING BACK, MOVING FORWARD!

This winter's often bitterly cold and snowy weather hasn't exactly inspired me to get out and go on long walks, or test my endurance levels, but yesterday (Super Bowl Sunday) was an unusually bright and beautiful day. So, bucking my own recent tradition of laying



 
low on weekends, I opted to check out some regional parks and trails.  What I discovered was a blend of unique and different and thoroughly enjoyable experiences.  Fish Lake Regional Park in Maple Grove, Minnesota is beautiful any time of year, but the recent seven inches of snow showed the splendor and elegance of winter that I often forget about.  It was also an important time to spend by myself, at my own pace, and think about the direction of my life.  I think of myself as an introvert, but I'm also one who believes in the value of solitude.  Thoreau once said, "I never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude."  Words that speak to my heart!

After I left Fish Lake Park, I wanted to continue my little adventure, so I headed to West Medicine Lake Park.  I had myself psyched up to follow the trail near the lake and beyond, but there was one minor problem.  The trail that I searched for didn't exist, because of huge snow drifts.  I would have been testing my leg strength and jumping ability, but my balance isn't quite what it used to be, so I imagined that I'd spend more time lying in snow banks, rather than walking alongside them.  I found plenty of humor in that thought, but left it at that.  Ironically, the large lake had plenty of paths, but these "roadways" were for cars and trucks traveling about on their way to fishing splendor.  And of course there were plenty of cross country skiers who seemed thrilled at the new batch of snow.  Reluctantly I left that area and moved on to French Park.

French Park had several hundred people who appeared to be euphoric about the recent and substantial new snow.  When I got out of the car, I discovered skiers everywhere.  I couldn't take my usual trail to the lake because it didn't exist, except for those who'd waited a long time for a superb skiing day like this. I felt a little left out, but if I'd truly been in shape, there were plenty of long trails that led to the lake.  As I said, MOVING FORWARD. . .that's my goal--to get in better shape and make that trek easily, instead of whimpering about it. 

What brought back memories for me was discovering a giant hill nearby, which was perfect for anyone who loves sledding.  That included children and adults on this day.  The joyful squeals could



 

 
be heard from hundreds of yards away.  It reminded me of my own childhood and how much fun it was growing up near a skating rink and going on sledding adventures with my friends and family.  I realize more than ever what treasured times those were.  Looking back, I'm grateful--for a glorious day like I'd just experienced, for rich memories of magical times over 50 years ago, and for LIFE itself. Gabrielle Roth once wrote, "It's really not that hard to stop and luxuriate in the joy and wonder of being.  Children do it all the time.  It's a natural human gift that should be at the heart of our lives."  Well said!
 
Me (on left), skating with my friends over 50 years ago--


No comments:

Post a Comment