Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, October 4, 2013

ARE YOU THERE, ELOISE?


It’s me, Lynda.  I guess you would remember me as Linda with an i, living on Butternut Street in our little Wisconsin town.  I remember the fun times we had in second grade.  I loved riding my bike over to your house in the summer, and hanging out in your little outdoor pool.  You were a good friend and I liked playing with you often.  So I don’t know why we got into an argument at school recess one day.  It wasn’t even just me—our good friend Kandyce got in on the action too.  We picked a fight with you, and nothing justifies that, not even in second grade.  Kandyce and I spent an hour after school writing on the blackboard and paying for our misdeeds.  Our second grade teacher was a real “gem” too, which made it all a hundred times worse. I hated disappointing her!

When my granddaughter entered second grade four years ago, I told her what a “tomboy” I was at her age, and how I had gotten into trouble decades before as a second grader.  So I teasingly said to her, “Don’t follow your grandmother’s example.”  And of course she sensibly replied, “I can’t believe you did that, Grandma.”

And yet I think she’s always known about my occasional mischievous deeds; they still pop up in different ways, although now it’s more often about doing unconventional things, just because that’s a strong part of who I am.  From that day on, we established the name Eloise as our secret password as Morgan headed out the door to school.  A wink from Grandma, a smile and a kiss from Morgan, and our shared password started our day off in a unique, silly way.

Occasionally I’ve told Morgan that I still wish I could apologize to Eloise, even after 58 years.  So here goes-- Wherever you are, my second grade friend, I’m sorry for being the bully that day.  I’ve grown up a lot since then, and my granddaughter can finally be proud of me for making amends.

 

** “That is what learning is.  You suddenly understand something you’ve understood all your life, but in a new way.”  (Doris Lessing)

No comments:

Post a Comment