Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, October 6, 2012

POIGNANT AUTUMN DAYS!


Recently after I dropped my grandchildren off at school, I drove over to Medicine Lake for a relaxed stroll along the lake, taking in the beautiful fall colors.  I had barely gotten started when a good friend of mine called with startling news—her son had been killed in a car accident a few days earlier. I grappled with any meaningful words to say.  She had gone through so much over the last few years, but this had to be the most devastating occurrence of all.  How could I begin to imagine what she was experiencing?  Having three children of my own, the loss seemed incomprehensible.  I offered my heartfelt sympathies and told her to call me day or night.

Early the next week I called to invite her to lunch if she felt up to it.  We met at a favorite lunch spot and had a memorable time with the little boy she takes care of.  She had gone back to work that day.  Then we drove to a delightful, quaint Minneapolis playground.  While her little guy played with other kids, my friend and I sat at a park bench and just talked for several hours about her son, the exquisite fall day, and our memories of days spent together when we both worked as nannies.  And there were plenty of silent moments, but they weren’t awkward; they were very poignant.  I will never forget that afternoon, and I doubt that she will.  We ended the day at a little ice cream shop.  When it was time to leave, there was a realization of what this day had meant.  As I drove to pick up my grandchildren, I understood the fragile nature of our lives, but the richness of it as well. 

 
 

 

 

 
Remembering my friend, I’d like to share a few photos from that poignant day and week.

No comments:

Post a Comment