Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A WOMAN’S JOURNAL


About twenty years ago I discovered A WOMAN’S JOURNAL on a shelf at a local thrift store. I was intrigued by a personal message written on the first page, from one woman to another, expressing the hope that this journal book filled with quotations would be a place to record dreams, challenges, and joys for the coming year.  I felt lucky to find this “gem”, but sad that the woman receiving it had not, for whatever reason, made any entry.  I vowed that Caroline’s gift would be cherished for years to come. The women’s quotes on each page were fascinating and I invited friends to find a page or quote that they could relate to and write whatever they chose. Through the years I’ve been blessed to have friends and acquaintances from all over the world contribute.  One of my favorite entries was written without my knowledge, but discovered long afterwards and touched me immeasurably.  This simple book is the most treasured one I own, and I’d like to record a few special quotes and entries.

     “Only friends will tell you the truths you need to hear to make the last part of your life bearable.”  (Francine Du Plessix Gray,  French writer)

     “What’s terrible is to pretend that the second-rate is first-rate.  To pretend that you don’t need love when you do; or you like your work when you know quite well you’re capable of better.  (Doris Lessing, British writer)

     “If only we’d stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time.”  (Edith Wharton, American writer) 

     “Why not seize the pleasure at once?  How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation?”  (Jane Austen, English writer)  My dear friend Kathie wrote 19 years ago, “My good friend Lynda, I searched this “entire” book to find the right quotation that best describes your “zest for life,” and this was it.”  How many crazy adventures we’ve had over the years, and it takes a true friend to tell you that “you are the WORST NAVIGATOR I’ve ever known,” and then softens the blow by adding, “You are one of the very few people I’ve known who loves to “stop and smell the roses.”  The Jane Austen quote is delightful and my friend’s words—PRICELESS.

And here’s one of my favorites—“Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands—and then eat just one of the pieces.  (Judith Viorst, American writer) I’ve yet to manage that!

Another quote that’s near and dear to my heart is “You don’t know a woman until you have had a letter from her.”  (Ada Leverson, English writer)  This is the page where my English pen pal and friend of 25 years chose to write.  The lengthy message was written 19 years ago after a visit, and I’ll treasure it forever. 

One quote that sums up my belief is, “We are always the same age inside.”  (Gertrude Stein) 

Twenty years ago another English friend who came to visit picked this quote, “Stay” is a charming word in a friend’s vocabulary,” to which she added, “Having had my first ‘Stay’ with you, I’ve found another friend to treasure.  Thank you just doesn’t seem enough.”  Her message and chosen quote will long be a joy to me.

The note found long after a local friend’s visit had this quote highlighted—“It is the friends you can call up at 4 A.M. that matter.”  (Marlene Dietrich, German writer), to which my friend added, “Even though I tease you about opening your home to anyone that comes to your door, it’s comforting to know that if I show up on your doorstep I will always be welcome.” 

Eleanor Roosevelt once wrote, “One thing life taught me—if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests.  They come to you.”  My friend Wendy chose that quote and added a favorite quote she had once read, “It’s never too late to be the person you might have been.”  She concluded, saying, “Start that blog!”  And now I can add to that, “I have Wendy, I have!”

An appropriate quote chosen by my friend Angela after I visited her in England years ago and was about to leave said,  “Superior people never make long visits.”  (Marianne Moore, American poet)  My friend’s final entry was, “See you soon.  I wonder how long it will be this time.  Have a good flight.  Don’t be too sad.”  It eased the long flight home.

And finally, my oldest son chose two quotes:  “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” ( Ruth Rendell, English mystery writer)  The last quote he chose was, “Cherish forever what makes you unique, ‘cuz you’re really a yawn if it goes!”  (Bette Midler, American entertainer)

I cherish the uniqueness of this book and the special people who took the time to write in it.  Emily Dickinson once wrote, “To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.” So true!  And then, as if I needed a reminder, Colette, the French writer added, “You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.” 

If you’re ever fortunate enough to find another copy of A WOMAN’S JOURNAL, don’t pass it up.  It can change your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment