Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Sunday, April 8, 2012

JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE DENTIST


A few days ago I took my grandchildren to their “routine” six-month dental check-up at JUST SMILES.  They headed for the play area and I went to check them in. After learning that their regular dentist had gone home sick, I picked up a magazine and was about to sit down when a dental assistant came rushing out to the waiting area and said, “Ma’am, would you mind sitting over on the other side?”  I was a little puzzled and after a short pause she continued, “A dad who’s separated from his wife picked up his two kids at her house today and she told him that they had head lice.  He didn’t think it was a big deal, but I told him it was.”  I was still shaking my head in disbelief when I saw her go over and start washing the wall and the seats where they had obviously been.  It was the area where I had nearly sat down.  I cringed at the prospect of having a new, unwelcome addition in my life and maybe that of my grandchildren.  It seemed a bit surreal and disgusting.  I mean, “What dad would bring his kids to the dentist, knowing they had head lice?”  What if he hadn’t been upfront about it?  I didn’t need to take my thoughts any further. I could almost feel my skin crawling.

I sat in the furthest corner away from the suspected area and settled down to read mundane stories in different magazines. The kids were soon called back to the dental area.  Within a few minutes JUST SMILES was tested again as the power shut down completely.  One of the receptionists started giggling. The assistant who had done her unexpected cleaning said, “I was just wondering what could happen next.”  I said, “It’s a good thing you have real teamwork here.  If you had to handle this alone it would be almost unbearable.” 

Finally everything was up and running again, but I was wondering if my grandchildren were aware of the craziness of the day.  It was hard to settle in; I was now waiting for the next unanticipated occurrence.  Sure enough, the power took a second hit. The younger receptionist couldn’t control her giggling this time.  A voice from the back said, “Jennifer, you need to go to the bathroom and splash some water on your face and get yourself calmed down.”  It was spoken in a kind, but firm way.  It was now past four o’clock and I was happy for the crew that their work day was nearly over.  The young, tested, but still giggling receptionist remarked that she was going out with friends that night.  I pictured her sharing the events of the day and dispelling ideas that dental offices were always boring, predictable places. 

Some time ago Joseph Heller, the well-known author said, “We do have a zeal for laughter in most situations, give or take a dentist.”  He obviously hasn’t been to JUST SMILES where the adaptable dental folks live up to their name.




No comments:

Post a Comment