Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, March 27, 2015

AMAZING PERSEVERENCE!

A few weeks ago I watched a segment on CBS about a Minnesota high school girls basketball team, which no doubt millions of people saw.  Who would believe that a team that had lost 84 games over several seasons could become so famous?  But indeed they did, and for good reason!  Under incredible odds, they persevered, and won their first game.

The Climax Fisher girl's team started the game with nine players, but ended it with only three.  Five players fouled out, and one had played too many minutes in the junior and senior varsity games, and had to sit out the second half of the varsity game. Consequently, there were only three players available for most of the second overtime period.  Even the coach wondered if his Lady Knights could play through the impossible task of trying to win the game.  Amazingly, they made 12 points in both overtimes combined, and pulled off an incredible victory over Bagley, 62-58. 

Talk about jubilation, and unbelievable perseverance.  The coach, Jonathan Vonesh, said, "The emotions that were running through my body and the kids--there were tears, there was joy, the crowd was going nuts.  It felt like we won a championship."  How I would have loved to have been there!  I think I would have shed a few tears as well.

I'm a basketball lover from "way back", having proudly followed my older brother's great achievements during his high school years.  And even though we didn't have a girl's team at that time, I have always followed the game with great interest and enthusiasm.  Now that the NCAA men's basketball tournament is in high gear, and my favorite team (the Wisconsin Badgers) are doing exceptionally well, I'm enjoying basketball more than ever.

But for all the news of great victories and exciting players, I don't lose sight of the tremendous victory achieved by a small girl's school in northwestern Minnesota.  It was against all odds, and brought great joy to the young women who didn't know the word "quit," as well as their fans. A team and a story that will live on for years!  And rightly so!!

Thank you Lady Knights for your amazing perseverance!!

No comments:

Post a Comment