Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, January 4, 2014

LITTLE LAMBEAU and MILLIE MAY!


Nearly a century ago my mother, a very kind and caring woman, who had plenty of spunk and feistiness, entered the world via small town Wisconsin.  Despite having multiple childhood illnesses and spending months in various hospitals, she became an avid sports fan.  My family might scoff at that and say WHAT A MAJOR
 


UNDERSTATEMENT! Above all, she lived and breathed everything about the Green Bay Packers.  She wouldn’t miss a Packers game for anything, which brings me to the Ice Bowl NFL championship game in Green Bay against the Dallas Cowboys in 1967. My mom was there to the bitter, freezing end and went home ecstatic as the Packers pulled off an incredible win, moments before the final seconds ticked away. Game time temperature was -13 and the wind chill was -48. My mother talked about it endlessly.  I’m especially thinking about her today because tomorrow, January 5, the Packers play in another Ice Bowl game, rivaling and perhaps surpassing the original one. San Francisco can only imagine what they’re in for.  My mother could tell the 49ers stories! 

But that simply delightful lady who would turn one hundred on January 15, was much more than an unusual woman who loved sports and her team.  She taught me about
 


treasuring the simple joys of life, showing kindness, and making a difference, in whatever meaningful way possible.

Her high school classmate, George, once wrote about her in the 1931 yearbook I still have, “When you get to be a senator or something like that, sometime I’ll come and listen to you debate.”  And debate she could, very convincingly.  She taught me well!

So here’s to you Millie May.  I’m sure you’ll be counting on a Packers victory tomorrow, wherever you are!  Thank you for the rich memories!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, the Packers superseded everything. I remember when my parents visited from Germany the first time. We were at the house in Abbotsford and the Packers were on TV. Millie was not to be denied to watch. Of course may parents were totally unfamiliar with football and my dad soon dozed off in his easy chair. Then the Packers scored and Millie, in her boundless enthusiasm jumped up, cheering at the top of her lungs. M y dad, startled from the "noise," set up straight, asking several times what had happened. I don't know if he ever before had been awakened in such a manner. I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda - She WAS an extraordinary woman. I remember her sense of humor, her vitality, her sparkling eyes. She was a FORCE!!!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Wendy. She was unique and full of fun and genuine, and I loved her dearly!

      Delete