Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Saturday, March 16, 2013

KEY TO THE CITY . . . AND TO YOUR HEART!

 

Donald Driver
 
 
 
Recently I ordered a simple children’s book from a very special author, who’s also been an exceptional professional athlete, a founder of an amazing organization which benefits underprivileged children, homeless families, children with serious illnesses, and many more.  The organization’s motto is “STRONG HANDS, STRONG MINDS, LOVING HEARTS.”  It’s called the DONALD DRIVER FOUNDATION, which was established by Donald and his wife Betina.  For fourteen years I watched Donald excel as a wide receiver for the Green Bay Packers and often thrilled at how gracefully he glided across the football field. His infectious smile and delight in acknowledging his children after games often left me even more uplifted. Little did I know that he had been homeless during part of his childhood years. 

I could relate to one of the books Donald wrote because it dealt with a child’s loss, whatever that might entail.  It’s called QUICKIE HANDLES A LOSS.  The book relates to Donald’s storytelling to his own children.  He said that as a child his mother had given him the name Quickie because she could never catch him. That got me laughing because I could picture what a mischievous little guy he must have been.

In the opening page of the book, Driver had written that whatever type of loss you’ve experienced, “Always keep a positive attitude and use those good memories to push yourself forward in life . . . Don’t stop.  You must remember that life goes on no matter how hard it may feel in the beginning.  It gets easier in time.  Remember!”  He signed it, “Your friend, Donald Driver, #80.”  I wish I’d had his book when I was eight or nine and my best friend moved away to another part of my home state of Wisconsin. Quickie had experienced something remarkably similar.  When my friend died of leukemia a few years later, I was devastated and felt that a part of me had been lost forever. Donald’s book has special significance in acknowledging children’s losses and helping them heal and move on.

When Donald retired from the Packers recently, a retirement party was held for him, a rarity for the Packers.  Tickets were hard to get and the building was packed.  Donald is truly beloved in all of Wisconsin and elsewhere.  He had broken the Packers all-time receiving yardage and scored 61 touchdowns overall, including a 90-yarder in the 2008 playoffs against the New York Giants.  He had also helped the Packers beat Pittsburgh in the 2011 Super Bowl, despite being injured.  In his 14 years with the Packers, he had only missed four games.  A remarkable accomplishment!  The versatile player from Alcorn State in Mississippi was a rare find for the Packers.

Donald Driver received the key to the city of Green Bay, but more importantly, he’s held the key to many of our hearts.  He’s made hundreds of charitable appearances, made the lives of countless children and families more meaningful and less of a struggle, and endeared himself to people everywhere.  I will miss his acrobatic play on the football field, but I will continue to admire and respect him; he’s an exceptional human being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment