Featured Post

THE WAVES OF OUR LIVES!

Having recently been invited by a dear friend to spend a week at a beautiful cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior, I’m reminding ...

Friday, July 13, 2012

AND THE GLASS IS. . .



An anonymous person, who perhaps didn't want to be labeled as an optimist or a pessimist once said, "A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better."  I had to think that one over a few times; perhaps that means that I'm more of an optimist.  Most of the time I'd call myself a glass half-full person, but there are times when I'm not so sure.  Recently I was visiting a website where that very question was asked.  The glass half-full version seemed to suit me best, but the more I thought about it, WELL, YOU KNOW!

Here are some thoughts to ponder about how you might view yourself on the half-full, half-empty glass scale.


Two wonderful friends and optimists with sparkling personalities--Doris and Wilbur

“A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties.”  (Harry Truman, thirty-third U.S. President.)

            “An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?”  (Rene Descartes, French philosopher)

            “I’m sort of a pessimist about tomorrow and an optimist about the day after tomorrow.”  (Eric Sevareid, former U.S. television commentator)

            “In my last year of school, I was voted Class Optimist and Class Pessimist.  Looking back, I realize I was only half right.”  (Jack Nicholson, U.S. actor)

            “I’ve never seen a monument erected to a pessimist.”  (Paul Harvey, former radio commentator)

            “There are moments when everything goes well; don’t be frightened, it won’t last.”  (Jules Renard, French author)

            “The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.”  (James Branch Cabell, American author)

           

            ‘Twixt the optimist and pessimist

            The difference is droll:

            The optimist sees the doughnut

            But the pessimist sees the hole.”   (McLandburgh Wilson)



Last January when I was reveling in the thought of my favorite college football team, the University of Wisconsin Badgers appearing in the prestigious Rose Bowl game, I remembered back to the 1960’s when as a young person I’d listen until the bitter end of their games, feeling certain they’d score eventually.  The sound on the radio would fade in and out and it would have been a lot less painful to just shut it off, but I guess a part of me must have been the eternal optimist. The scores often reached 56-0, 62-7, 69-14, but I was definitely not giving up.  So when my beloved team lost the Rose Bowl game earlier this year, I was optimistic that they’d be a factor the next year.

And here are a few final optimistic thoughts from some of my most admired Americans, past and present.

            “Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadows.”  (Helen Keller)

photo by Heinz Richter

            “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”  (Dolly Parton)


My grandparents, who often found a way to make it through the dark days and lived their lives hopefully and lovingly--

            “I have become my own version of an optimist.  If I can’t make it through one door, I’ll go through another door—or I’ll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.”  (Joan Rivers)

            “You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die, or when.  You can only decide how you’re going to live.  Now!” (Joan Baez, American folksinger)

I wonder how these kids grew up to perceive the world.

            “Thoughts are energy, and you can make your world or break your world by your thinking.”  (Susan Taylor, American journalist)

2 comments:

  1. When I was working on my book "Minnesota Notables," I asked the people I was photographing for a quote about Minnesota. Hubert H. "Skip" Humphrey III, the son of former Minnesota Senator and Vice President Hubert Humphrey said:
    "In Minnesota we have a progressive political tradition of not only approaching the proverbial glass as "half full," but of pulling together as a community to fill the darn thing up."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I see the donut hole as very useful: I could stack a half dozen in a spindle making them easier to carry...
    I could eat more "holey" donuts since they obviously have fewer calories!

    ReplyDelete